But the tomatoes are green. It's only almost summer. Almost time for barbecues and popsicles and sunsets on the beach.
It's getting close. I'm stocking up on sunscreen and skirts. And, for now, green tomatoes will do just fine.
Green Tomato & Honeydew Salad
Green tomatoes and honeydew might sound like an odd pairing, but this salad is bright and fresh and full of flavor. It's also gorgeous. An edible study in shades of green.
- 3 green tomatoes, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 honeydew melon, chopped into bit sized chunks
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 bunch scallions (about 4-5 scallions), sliced into thin rounds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
In a large bowl, combine chopped green tomatoes and honeydew melon. Squeeze the juice from the limes over the fruit, and drizzle the olive oil on top. Throw in the cilantro, scallions, salt and pepper, and toss everything to combine. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top, and serve chilled or at room temperature.
This serves 2 people as a main course for lunch, or 4 as a monochromatic side dish, maybe to grilled chicken or a smoky BLT.